Dr. Kesar’s research goal is to develop novel gait rehabilitation interventions and strategies that are based on an in-depth understanding of the neuroplasticity, biomechanical, and motor learning mechanisms underlying gait and gait training. Ongoing projects in Dr. Kesar’s lab are investigating the time course of evolution of changes in gait biomechanics, walking function, and corticospinal excitability during paradigms that mimic clinical post-stroke gait retraining. Some of the tools and techniques that Dr. Kesar employs in her research include 3-dimensional kinematic and kinetic analysis of human motion, electromyography, functional electrical stimulation, and transcranial magnetic stimulation.
2009 PhD Biomechanics and Movement Sciences, University of Delaware, DE, USA
2005 M.S. Biomechanics and Movement Sciences, University of Delaware, DE, USA
2003 B.Sc. Physical Therapy Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India
- Kesar TM, Sawaki L, Cabrera N, Kolaski K, Smith BP, O’Shea M, Koman LA, Wittenberg GF. Motor Cortical Functional Geometry in Cerebral Palsy and its Relationship to Disability. Clinical Neurophysiology; Dec 6, 2011.
- Flynn S, Knarr BA, Perumal R, Kesar TM, Binder-Macleod SA. Using submaximal contractions to predict the maximum force-generating ability of muscles. Muscle Nerve; Jun, 45(6):849-58, 2012
- Hakansson NA, Kesar T, Reisman D, Binder-Macleod S, Higginson JS. Effects of fast functional electrical stimulation gait training on mechanical recovery in poststroke gait. Artif Organs. 35; 217-220, 2011.
- Kesar TM, Binder-Macleod SA, Hicks GE, Reisman DS. Minimal detectable change for gait variables collected during treadmill walking in individuals post-stroke. Gait and Posture; 33(2):314-7, 2011.
- Kesar TM, Perumal R, Reisman DS, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS, Binder-Macleod SA. Combined effect of fast treadmill walking and functional electrical stimulation on post-stroke gait. Gait and Posture; 33(2):309-13, 2011.
- Perumal R, Wexler AS, Kesar TM, Jancosko AM, Laufer Y, Binder-Macleod SA. A phenomenological model that predicts forces generated when electrical stimulation is superimposed on submaximal volitional contractions. Journal of Applied Physiology. 108(6):1595-604, 2010.
- Kesar TM, Perumal R, Reisman DS, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS, Binder-Macleod SA. Novel patterns of functional electrical stimulation have an immediate effect on dorsiflexor muscle function during gait for people poststroke. Physical Therapy. 90(1):55-66, 2010.
- Kesar TM, Perumal R, Reisman DS, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS, Binder-Macleod SA. Functional electrical stimulation of ankle plantar- and dorsi-flexor muscles: effects on post-stroke gait. Stroke. 40(12):3821-7, 2009.
- Kesar TM, Santamore WP, Perumal R, Binder-Macleod SA. Functional electrical stimulation of skeletal muscle –implications for cardiovascular support. Basic & Applied Myology. 19(1):31-34, 2009.
- Krishnamoorthy V, Hsu W, Scholz JP, Kesar T, Benoit DL, Perumal R, Binder-Macleod SA, Banala SK, Sangwan V, Agrawal SK. Gait training following stroke: a pilot study combining a gravity-balanced orthotic device, functional electrical stimulation and visual feedback. Journal of Neurological Physical Therapy. 32(4):192-202, 2009.
- Chou LW, Kesar TM, Binder-Macleod SA. Using customized rate-coding and recruitment strategies to maintain forces during repetitive activation of human muscles. Physical Therapy. 88(3):363-75, 2008.
- Kesar TM, Ding J, Perumal R, Maladen D, Wexler AS, Binder-Macleod SA. Predicting muscle forces of individuals with hemiparesis following stroke. Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation. 27:5-7, 2008.
- Ding J, Chou LW, Kesar TM, Lee SCK, Johnston TE, Wexler AS, Binder-Macleod SA. Mathematical model that predicts the force-intensity and force-frequency relationships for individuals with spinal cord injuries. Muscle Nerve. 36(2):214-22, 2007.
- Kesar T, Chou LW, Binder-Macleod SA. Effect of stimulation frequency versus pulse duration modulation on muscle fatigue. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 18(4):662-71, 2007.
- Kesar T and Binder-Macleod SA. Effect of frequency and pulse duration on human muscle fatigue during repetitive electrical stimulation. Experimental Physiology. 91(6):967-76, 2006.
- Binder-Macleod SA, and Kesar T. Catchlike property of skeletal muscle: Recent findings and clinical implications. Muscle Nerve. 31(6):681-93, 2005.
- Binder-Macleod SA, Perumal R, Chou LW, Kesar T, Snyder-Mackler L. Twitch interpolation a valid measure with misinterpreted meaning. Journal of Applied Physiology 107(1):363; Discussion 367-8, 2009.
Awards and Honors
2011 NCM Travel Award, Neural Control of Movement Society
2010 First Place, Delaware Health Science Alliance Research Conference Poster Session
2010 Best poster award, Center for Biomedical Engineering Research symposium, Delaware
2007 University of Delaware Dissertation Fellows Award
2005 Best Poster award, Center of Biomedical Engineering Research Symposium, Delaware.
2004 Best Poster Award, Center for Biomedical Engineering Research Symposium, Delaware