Places to eat, drink, and have fun!
|• Brick Store Pub
• California Pizza Kitchen
• Flying Biscuit
• Eclipse de Luna: restaurant and tapas
• Gladys and Ron’s Chicken and Waffles
• Kiko’s Japanese & Steak
• Los Loros (Mexican)
|• Melting Pot
• Moe’s (Mexican)
• P.F Chang’s
• Season’s 52
• The Real Chow Baby:
|• Ru San’s (sushi)
• Six Feet Under (Seafood)
• Sun Dial: see Atlanta in this revolving restaurant at the top of The Westin Hotel!
• Ted’s Montana Grill
• Top Spice Thai Restaurant
Bars and Clubs
|• Brick Store Pub
• Five Paces Inn- Atlanta’s # 1 Dive Bar
• Flip Flops
• Hole in the Wall
• Park Bench
• Park Tavern (next to Piedmont Park)
|• Taco Mac
• Tongue & Groove
• Velvet Room
1. Perimeter Mall: 4400 Ashford Dunwoody Rd NE (Exit 29 on I-285)
2. Lenox Square Mall: Lenox Road in Lenox Square
3. Northpoint Mall: 6503 Northpoint Parkway (Alpharetta, GA)
4. Northlake Mall: 4800 Briarcliff Road
5. North DeKalb Mall: 2050 Lawrenceville Hwy
6. Gwinnett Place Mall: 2100 Pleasant Hill Road (Exit 104 on I-85)
7. Mall of Georgia: I-20/Buford Exit on I-85N
8. Atlantic Station: Midtown Atlanta
Restaurants, shopping, bars, bowling, Movie Theater and more:
• Ten Pin Alley (bowling)
• Regal Cinemas 16
• H & M
• LA Fitness
• Geisha House
• California Pizza Kitchen
• And much much MORE!!
1. Dawsonville Outlets: on 400 near Dahlonega, about 40 mi. N. of town
2. Furniture Outlets: on access road, Jimmy Carter Blvd exit on I-85 N
3. Discovery Mills Outlets: Sugarloaf Parkway on I-85
4. Tanger Outlets: on I-85 (Commerce, GA—about 1 hour drive)
1. Atlanta Farmer’s Market: 4166 Buford Hwy NE
2. International Farmer’s Market: 5193 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
3. DeKalb Farmer’s Market: 3000 E Ponce de Leon Ave (class favorite)
Places of worship of some of our current students:
• Midtown Community ( non-denominational)
• Buckhead Church (Christian non-denominational)
• Trinity Vineyard (Christian)
• The Way International (non-denominational)
• Grace Fellowship (Christian non-denominational)
• Ray of Hope Christian Church (Christian)
• Destiny Metropolitan (Baptist)
• For more options see: http://www.religiouslife.emory.edu/
Having car trouble or just need regular maintenance?
• Chevrolet Tom Jumper- 7200 Roswell Rd NE Atlanta, GA
• Toyo Tech- 4185 Clairmont Road, Chamblee, GA
• Jiffy Lube (several locations)
• Toyota Dealership-5800 Peachtree Industrial Blvd Atlanta, GA
• Saturn of Decatur- 1950 Orion Drive Decatur, GA
• Firestone (several locations)
• Precision Auto Care- 2306 Cheshire Bridge Road
Have a pet? Here are a few nearby pet services:
• Buckhead Animal Clinic-1911 Piedmont Circle NE Atlanta, GA www.buckheadanimalclinic.com
• Tucker Animal Hospital-4988 Lavista Rd Tucker, GA www.tuckeranimalhospital.com
• Lavista Animal Hospital- 2804 Lavista Rd Decatur, GA
• Spots for Dogs (animal sitter)- 750 Ponce De Leon Place NE, Ste 1, Atlanta, GA www.spotfordogs.com
• Highland Pet Supply (Pet training and pet supplies)- 1186 N. Highland Atlanta, GA www.highlandpet.com
Hotels where parents/family can stay:
• University Inn
• Emory Inn
• Embassy Suites at Dunwoody
• Post Briarcliff Apartments (guest apartments)
• Marriot (various locations close to Emory)
Must See Places in Atlanta
The world’s largest aquarium, Georgia Aquarium features more animals than any other aquarium in more than eight million gallons of water!!
For those you can’t get enough of the outdoors, Atlanta is a great place to live!
Silver Comet Trail
The silver comet is built on an old railroad track. It’s a paved trail that is connected to another coming from Alabama. It’s currently about 40 miles of completed paved track (80 there and back). It’s great for a road bike, mountain bike, or roller blades. It’s a great place to go that’s not too far from Atlanta.
State Parks and Camp sites
This website contains a list of state parks. Amicalola Falls State park is a great place that’s about an hour and a half away. There’s free camping if you’re willing to tough it out without the amenities, or if you like plumbing, they have camping areas that don’t cost too much. Another plus, the Appalachian Trail beginning is only about 8 miles away.
The Chattahoochee River
The Chattahoochee River has about 10 little national park areas near Atlanta. A $15 yearly fee is required, but well worth it.
Lake Lanier is a big lake not too far from Atlanta
Stone Mountain Park
Stone Mountain Park is a green oasis where families and friends can enjoy the outdoors together. Listed in Frommer’s 500 Places to Visit with Your Kids before They Grow Up and cited by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution as one of “35 Natural Wonders in Georgia You Must See before You Die,” Stone Mountain Park is located just 16 miles east of downtown Atlanta. The five square mile park is Georgia’s most visited attraction. Home to the world’s largest piece of exposed granite, Stone Mountain Park offers a variety of attractions, entertainment and recreation including: sky rides. Spectacular Laser show, scenic railroad, paddlewheel riverboat, and GA’s first 4-D Theater!!
Lullwater is a 185 acre park located in the middle of Emory’s campus. Its gardens, walking trails, and lake are popular among our students; the park is the perfect place to relax, picnic, study, or exercise. The park is also the location of the President’s home, Lullwater House.
Atlanta Botanical Garden
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is a display of plant collections for education, research, conservation and enjoyment.
Disc golf courses around the area
Indoor Rock Climb Gym: Atlanta Rocks
Concerts and Theater
World of Coca Cola
It’s the only place where you can explore the complete story – past, present, and future – of the world’s best-known brand!
Only at Fernbank Museum can you come face-to-face with the world’s largest dinosaurs, explore the development of life on Earth through the landscapes of present-day Georgia, connect with cultures from around the globe, and engage in a variety of hands-on exhibitions and more! And you won’t want to miss stunning rotating special exhibitions or the incredible 5-story experience of an IMAX® film.